Summer Recreation Director
5 Week Program
This is work in the direction of the Parks and Recreation Department of the Township. The Director provides the overall administration and evaluation of the Summer Recreation Program. The Director plans, staffs and monitors for optimum efficiency and cost-effective operations of this service to the public for the summer recreation program. Work extends to include promoting and supporting varied summer recreation activities suited to the interest level of potential and actual participants.
The employee functions with wide latitude under the administrative direction of the Parks and Recreation Directors and within the framework of policies established by the Board of Commissioners. The Director assumes executive responsibility for all of the summer recreation program. The employee can enlist the confidence and support of the citizenry in the Township by his/her ability to provide a wholesome summer recreation program for area patrons.
The work is subject to review through reports, conferences, observation of results, and appraisal of acceptance and popularity of programs.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Parks and Recreation Director.
Work is performed during regularly scheduled hours of the summer recreation program (5-week program) and may involve additional hours as needed. The position is exempt under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manages the daily operations of the Recreation Program, including but not limited to meeting the needs and interests of all the children participating in the Recreation Program.
2. Helps recruit and recommend to the Board of Commissioners individuals for the grade supervisor positions and counselor positions.
3. Supervises and coordinates the organization and conduct of the community recreation program, including both those activities under active leadership and others which primarily require provision of space, facilities, and general administrative service.
4. Organizes and supervises an efficient administration of the Recreation programs and maintains complete and accurate records of Recreation activities.
5. Recommend to the Parks & Recreation Directors a proposed budget for the Summer Recreation Program.
6. Prepares, Organizes, coordinates and supervises daily activities for the program which includes but is not limited to the following: Arts and Crafts, Free Swim, Talent Show, Swim Party, Organized sports such as Basketball, Baseball, Dodgeball, Group games such as bingo, limbo, tug-of-war, musical chairs, four square, Special activities such as street bowling, water balloon toss, safety presentations such as bicycle and fire safety, field events such as land and water races, obstacle courses and scavenger hunts.
7. Recommends, reviews, and coordinates programs and procedures so that the summer recreation programs are maximized and delivered at a reasonable cost.
8. Recommend and if approved, implement new summer recreation programs and special events.
9. Coordinates with other recreation programs in the Township including the School District and with independent athletic, environmental and conservation organizations in the Township for the Summer Recreation Program.
10. Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public related to the Summer Recreation Program.
11. Prepares and justifies budget estimates to be presented to the Parks and Recreation Director who in turn presents to the Board of Commissioners during budget season, work programs and supporting data concerning summer recreation for the Parks and Recreation Director to submit to the Township Manager and Board of Commissioners.
12. Recommends establishment of necessary fees for the summer recreation program to the Parks and Recreation Director.
13. Responsible for ensuring all the summer recreation program employees submit their proper paperwork for the Township payroll system.
14. Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Demonstrated applied knowledge of methods and techniques of summer recreation programs required
2. Demonstrated managerial, supervisory and personnel experience required
3. Demonstrated management skills, including communication (verbal and written), visioning, problem solving, strategic planning, prioritizing, delegating and the ability to analyze diverse facts, and develop clear concise reports/recommendations
4. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with Township staff, elected/appointed officials, and the general public
5. Demonstrated multi-faceted professional with initiative who is an innovative, creative thinker
6. Computer skills are preferred. Must have ability to oversee the paperwork and on-boarding process for payroll of the summer recreation employees.
7. Thorough knowledge of the Township Summer Recreation program, operations and general knowledge of facilities and equipment required.
8. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to perform basic math and analytical skills
9. Some knowledge of the principles and practices of first aid.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed outdoors. Routine outdoor work is required to traverse various recreation sites and facilities. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker may be subject to adverse environmental conditions, to visit sites, operations or perform inventories and related tasks.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATES, and CLEARANCES:
1. Possession of a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license during tenure of employment.
2. PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, and Criminal Background Check